Advertisement

We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

An ESB substation in Finglas Laura Hutton/Photocall Ireland

It’s off: ESB strike averted as management and unions reach agreement

The strike over the issue of pensions had been due to begin tomorrow week.

Updated 19:58

THE PLANNED STRIKE by ESB workers has been averted after trade unions and management reached an agreement over the company’s pension scheme this afternoon.

In a statement the ESB Group of Unions – which speaks for the four main unions in the company – said the agreement was a “landmark victory” for employees.

“The resolution is on the basis of the Union Mandate to protect the ESB Pension Scheme as a Defined Benefit Pension Scheme and to maintain existing agreements being fully met,” the statement says.

“As a result the ESB Disputes Committee have confirmed that Strike Notice will be withdrawn”.

ESB said the resolution of the issue will protect the company’s finances, and said a strike would have had damaging consequences for households, businesses and the economy.

Minister for Energy Pat Rabbitte said the settlement was “unqualified good news at this critical juncture of the year”.

The trade dispute was resolved at 4.30pm today following intensive talks at the Labour Relations Commission over the weekend.

The row centred on a €1.6 billion deficit in the semi-state company’s pension scheme, with unions arguing that the company had breached a 2010 agreement to retain it as a defined benefit scheme. The strike had due to begin on Monday 16 December.

The text of the agreement states that the scheme is a defined benefit pension scheme, and that whenever deficits arise, both sides will engage with each other to agree arrangements to deal with them.

The unions were strongly critical of media coverage of the proposed strike, saying that workers had been “publicly vilified for nothing more than protecting themselves and their families against an attempted destruction of their bought and paid for pension rights”.

“The workers in ESB, their representatives and the wider trade union movement have drawn a line in the sand in relation to this unprovoked attack on their terms and conditions of employment,” the Group of Unions said.

“Their unity and determination were the key elements in this success”.

ESB welcomed the withdrawal of strike notice by the unions.

“The resolution of the issue protects the financial strength of ESB – there will be no additional liabilities on ESB’s balance sheet,” the company said in a statement. “Therefore the company can continue to invest in critical electricity infrastructure in Ireland and continue to provide a return to its shareholders as planned”.

“The agreement recognises ESB’s existing obligations under the terms of the scheme and there will be no change to the accounting treatment of the scheme in the company’s financial statements as a result”.

Both sides thanked the LRC for intervening in the dispute.

Pat O’Doherty, the chief executive of the ESB, said the company regretted the unnecessary worry and uncertainty caused by the threat of power outages.

Separately, Energy Minister Pat Rabbitte praised both sides. “Unions and management deserve credit for ending the uncertainty that threatened to do disproportionate damage to the country’s best interests,” he said.

Originally published 17:32

Previously: ESB workers announce ‘all-out’ strike as unions meet with mediators >

Read: Workers agree to LRC meeting with ESB management >

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Close
273 Comments
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute E
    Favourite E
    Report
    Nov 30th 2014, 12:13 PM

    Does the mass media have to keep promoting this sleazy pornstar to our kids??

    231
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute 3monkey
    Favourite 3monkey
    Report
    Nov 30th 2014, 1:09 PM

    Clickbait , just look at the stats on this article alone.

    48
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Uncle Mort
    Favourite Uncle Mort
    Report
    Nov 30th 2014, 2:04 PM

    What attracted you two to the porn bit of the item above ? Did you miss the other bits? It’s easy to get offended by the news if you try hard enough.

    17
    See 2 more replies ▾
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute 3monkey
    Favourite 3monkey
    Report
    Nov 30th 2014, 2:09 PM

    Where did I say I was offended Mort ?

    19
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute E
    Favourite E
    Report
    Nov 30th 2014, 7:50 PM

    I’m not attracted to it.
    I’m just using this as an opportunity to ask a question out here in the open.
    The question being.
    Why does the mass media promote pornstars in areas of the net where children surf?

    9
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Lastpost
    Favourite Lastpost
    Report
    Nov 30th 2014, 11:38 AM

    Debbie does Dallas best porn movie a classic

    89
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Buckwheat MacMillan
    Favourite Buckwheat MacMillan
    Report
    Nov 30th 2014, 11:48 AM

    They don’t make em like that anymore

    47
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Andy Cahalan #111
    Favourite Andy Cahalan #111
    Report
    Nov 30th 2014, 12:07 PM

    I’m getting a memory leak in that code there Enda!

    34
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Mary Kavanagh
    Favourite Mary Kavanagh
    Report
    Nov 30th 2014, 5:51 PM

    I’d prefer to see Enda Kenny running the country (which is what we pay him to do ) rather than learning to code! Time enough for that when he retires with his handsome pension! Of course then he’d have to pay for the lessons!

    11
Submit a report
Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
Thank you for the feedback
Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.
JournalTv
News in 60 seconds