Advertisement

We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

The Garda Ombudsman (GSOC) report from last year that criticised the recordings of calls in 2010. GardaOmbudsman.ie

This isn’t the first time illegal recording of Garda station calls has been noted…

…AND strongly criticised. Read this GSOC report arising from a complaint made in 2010.

Updated 6.40pm

TODAY’S GOBSMACKING REVELATIONS that there was systemic recording of both incoming and outgoing calls to Garda stations around the country has sparked a major inquiry.

Taoiseach Enda Kenny said today that the Government was first made aware by the Attorney General of the breadth of recordings on Sunday – and the fact that the recordings dated back as far as the 1980s.

This “new information” however won’t surprise anyone who will have noted a report by the Garda Ombudsman relating to a case in Waterford in 2010.

Academic and journalist Elaine Byrne retweeted a message from a Tim Price on Twitter, pointing out that the recording of incoming and outcoming calls from a Garda station had previously been highlighted in a court case:

image

That case – although not the case referred to in today’s Government statement on how the systemic recordings came to light – shows that illegal recording of calls to and from Garda stations is a matter of public record.

In 2010, Anthony Holness of Waterford made a complaint that he had been assaulted by gardai in the city. That case went to trial in 2011, two gardai were jailed for harming Holness when he was being arrested; another garda was given a suspended sentence for perverting the course of justice.

In June of last year, GSOC claimed that gardai had not co-operated with the watchdog’s investigation into the claims – and, as reported in this TheJournal.ie article from that time, “was also critical of Waterford Garda station for illegally recording telephone conversations and called on Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan to immediately review procedures”.

The full report from GSOC can be read here.

This is the most important passage (bold text by TheJournal.ie):

During the course of the trial the lawfulness or otherwise of the Garda Síochána at Waterford Garda Station recording incoming and outgoing calls on their public lines, and the admission of the evidence obtained during the use of such practices became the subject of protracted legal argument.

On the 29th of January 2010, shortly after the arrest of Mr Holness, there was telephone communication between certain of the accused. These calls were recorded on the Garda Síochána recording system and a recording was provided to GSOC. This recording was offered in evidence by the DPP. Objections were raised by the Defence. The court held that the practice engaged in by the gardaí at Waterford Garda Station of recording all incoming and outgoing calls on a particular phone line was in breach of the relevant statute on the recording of telephone communications, which requires that at least one of the parties to a phone call has consented to its being recorded.

This requirement was deemed to have not been met on this occasion. The court ruled that the evidence obtained in those calls was inadmissible.

On consideration of the ruling of the court the Garda Commissioner may wish to re-evaluate his practice regarding the recording of such calls and the consents required if it is to be permissible to use such recordings in evidence.

Despite this admonition in June of last year, Taoiseach Kenny said today in the Dáil that the system of recording incoming and outgoing calls at a large number of Garda stations stayed in place until November last year, with the Government only being informed of the extend of this practice this Sunday, and an inquiry launched only this afternoon.

This evening, a government spokesperson said they were not aware of any discussion in relation to the report in question at government level or whether Justice Minister Alan Shatter was aware of it when it was published last year.

Several queries to the Department of Justice about if and what Shatter knew about the report and whether he discussed it with the Garda Commissioner were not immediately returned.

- additional reporting Hugh O’Connell

First published 4.46pm

New revelations: Incoming and outgoing calls at Garda stations taped ‘since the 1980s’>
Gardai did not co-operate with watchdog investigation>

Catch up: Everything you need to know about GardaGate in one place >

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

View 66 comments
Close
66 Comments
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Shaun Gallagher
    Favourite Shaun Gallagher
    Report
    Jul 10th 2022, 2:03 PM

    I’d say most of them would fail to pick it out on a map

    283
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute James Lough
    Favourite James Lough
    Report
    Jul 10th 2022, 1:55 PM

    Are you joking – they don’t give a fup about NI

    244
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Paul Shepherd
    Favourite Paul Shepherd
    Report
    Jul 10th 2022, 7:46 PM

    There are 60 million people living in mainland Britain. Why would the north with 1.5 million be front and centre or anywhere near the top of their priorities?

    78
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute John Joseph Barry
    Favourite John Joseph Barry
    Report
    Jul 10th 2022, 4:35 PM

    @John Mulligan: why should SF change for DUPs benefit? DUP backed a hard BREXIT in the hope of breaking the close link with the Republic from the GFA. If anybody has to change its the DUP to reflect the changing political climate in the North

    65
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Ger O'Reilly
    Favourite Ger O'Reilly
    Report
    Jul 10th 2022, 2:58 PM

    To most people in Britain, Northern Ireland is just a giant pain in the butt. A running sore that needs cortorising and gone from their life’s ASAP.

    147
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute MrsWoman
    Favourite MrsWoman
    Report
    Jul 10th 2022, 7:04 PM

    The Tories don’t give a flying feck about NI.

    65
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Jason Walsh
    Favourite Jason Walsh
    Report
    Jul 10th 2022, 9:05 PM

    Funniest thing I’ve read all week. NI isn’t even in the back of the mind of those that are looking to become ty next Tori leader. When will those in NI realise they are a thorn in the side of the mainland.

    49
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute A Well Known Comical Stereotype AKA PRGuy
    Favourite A Well Known Comical Stereotype AKA PRGuy
    Report
    Jul 11th 2022, 4:35 AM

    @Jason Walsh: Mainland? What about the aisle of Wight?

    3
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Angela McCarthy
    Favourite Angela McCarthy
    Report
    Jul 10th 2022, 4:59 PM

    @John Mulligan: Dear John, that comes across as a very entrenched and one sided view. When Michelle O’Neill laid a wreath at the war memorial in Belfast last week to honour the Unionist war dead, she was really poking them in the eye, you say.

    and yesterday when she attending a Muslim festival in Belfast and spoke about celebrating all the rainbow colours that make up society in the north as that society is no longer one of Orange and Green, she was really poking unionists in the eye you say?

    Wise up there John before you are left behind with the DUP!

    32
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Patrick O Connell
    Favourite Patrick O Connell
    Report
    Jul 10th 2022, 4:36 PM

    @John Mulligan: you’re spot on, with the two established parties of conflict as the main parties, it is harder than ever to agree on thinks. People voted for change for voting for the Aliance party. People are sick of green v orange

    22
Submit a report
Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
Thank you for the feedback
Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.
JournalTv
News in 60 seconds