Advertisement

We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

A woman cries as relatives and friends wait for victims to be identified following last week's nightclub fire. Andreea Alexandru/AP/Press Association Images

Romanian nightclub owners arrested after fire kills 31

The weekend blaze left nearly 200 injured.

THEE BOSSES OF a nightclub in Romania, where a weekend blaze left 31 people dead and nearly 200 injured were arrested yesterday on suspicion of manslaughter, Romanian prosecutors said.

The three men, aged between 28 and 36, were questioned for several hours in connection with the Friday night fire in Bucharest.

Witnesses said a fireworks display triggered the blaze at the Colectiv nightclub, sparking a stampede as terrified revellers scrambled to get out.

Most of the victims were killed on the spot. Nearly 200 people were injured.

Questions over safety regulations

Romanian media and witnesses have questioned safety regulations at the club.

Romania Explosion A survivor stands outside the scene of the blast in Bucharest. Vadim Ghirda / AP/Press Association Images Vadim Ghirda / AP/Press Association Images / AP/Press Association Images

Witnesses spoke of the absence of an emergency exit and the use of flammable material to soundproof the venue.

The club did not have the required authorisation to hold concerts or to stage pyrotechnic displays, government official Raed Arafat has said.

Prosecutors must now look into who should have ensured the club had all the proper permits before it opened.

One of the three suspects taken into custody yesterday is a former barman with shares in several clubs.

Two of the other clubs in which he has a stake were also destroyed by fires in recent years, Romanian daily Evenimentul Zilei reported.

- © AFP, 2015

Read: Fire safety ‘ignored’ at Romanian nightclub where blaze killed 31 and injured almost 200

Read: Islamic State’s claim it downed Russian plane dismissed as “propaganda”

Author
View 6 comments
Close
6 Comments
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Malcolm Lackey
    Favourite Malcolm Lackey
    Report
    Nov 3rd 2015, 11:53 AM

    I wish the Statdust victims got the same justice, the inly person ever to be arrested over that was the father of one of the lost souls for hitting Mr Butterly!!

    110
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Maurice Frazer
    Favourite Maurice Frazer
    Report
    Nov 3rd 2015, 12:43 PM

    Well said still waiting for Justice 35 years on.

    69
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Martin Hayes
    Favourite Martin Hayes
    Report
    Nov 3rd 2015, 2:15 PM

    Mr Butterly had powerful friends in government, that’s all it takes in Ireland to get away with it.

    39
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Sam Glynn
    Favourite Sam Glynn
    Report
    Nov 3rd 2015, 11:41 AM

    This is horrific and unnecessary. My heart goes out to the families and friends of these poor people caught in the fire. Such a tragic and sad event to happen :-(

    56
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute George Gilceava
    Favourite George Gilceava
    Report
    Nov 5th 2015, 11:51 PM

    Thank you Sam, it’s really kind of you!
    George Gilceava from Romania.

    1
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute George Gilceava
    Favourite George Gilceava
    Report
    Nov 5th 2015, 11:57 PM

    Thank you Sam, it’s really kind of you!
    George Gilceava from Romania.

    1
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute TommyRyder
    Favourite TommyRyder
    Report
    Nov 3rd 2015, 12:59 PM

    “One of the three suspects taken into custody yesterday is a former barman with shares in several clubs.
    Two of the other clubs in which he has a stake were also destroyed by fires in recent years”

    Look, I’m no Sherlock Holmes…but………………………..

    36
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute RMcG
    Favourite RMcG
    Report
    Nov 3rd 2015, 2:02 PM

    It’s a terrible tragedy, one of the victims was a lady who worked as a cleaner in the club, her husband died 8 years ago and now her 5 children (including 11 year old twins) are orphans.

    20
Submit a report
Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
Thank you for the feedback
Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.
JournalTv
News in 60 seconds