Advertisement

We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

RollingNews.ie

12 homeless families with over 30 children told to present to Garda stations as there were no beds for them

There were no beds available for the families on Tuesday night.

A TOTAL OF 12 homeless families with over 30 children were told to present to Garda stations on Tuesday night, as there was nowhere else for them to stay.

Homeless charity Focus Ireland said that a number of homeless families presented at its coffee shop on Eustace Street on Tuesday looking for help in sourcing accommodation.

Focus said that on average about 25 to 30 “self-accommodating” families go to the coffee shop daily for assistance. These are families who are deemed homeless and have to try source their own hotel accommodation on a daily basis, which the council then pays for.

On this occasion, 12 families were unable to source any accommodation. A number of emergency beds in homeless hostels were also full.

“The only option for these families was that they could go to a Garda station,” said Mike Allen, director of advocacy with Focus Ireland.

Allen said that before this incident so far there had only been one night where a single family couldn’t source any accommodation.

“Never even in the worst circumstances have we had this number,” he said.

To have to say that to 12 families is absolutely shocking and unprecedented.

Allen said that of the 11 families, three said they slept in Fairview Park in north Dublin, another presented at Finglas Garda Station but weren’t given shelter and slept in the offices of homeless community organisation the Inner City Helping Homeless.

Other families said they had stayed around Mountjoy Square in Dublin city centre. The other families stayed in various types of accommodation

Allen said that Focus had reconnected with 11 of the 12 families yesterday and that he believed they had sourced available accommodation last night.

He said that the laws around who was responsible for housing children and families in this situation were too vague and needed to be clearer.

“We’ve been saying for more than two years that what is required from local authorities in this circumstance is very unclear,” said Allen.

We need clear guidelines from the Government on this.

In a statement, the Dublin Regional Homeless Executive – which manages homeless services across the Dublin region – said that it was aware that seven families had presented to Garda stations.

A spokesperson said that there was a protocol in place whereby if families are unable to source accommodation they are brought to Garda stations.

The spokesperson said that as of last night Dublin City Council had doubled the volume of emergency contingency capacity of beds available to any family presenting out of hours in need of accommodation.

Read: Council defends plan to use former Bargaintown store to house homeless people

Read: Dublin Lord Mayor calls for Home Sweet Home to donate remaining €129,000 to homeless charities

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Close
95 Comments
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Trevor Beale
    Favourite Trevor Beale
    Report
    Sep 3rd 2014, 6:45 AM

    They’d want to start by sorting out these water charges. Should be top of their agenda.

    51
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Roscom-Man
    Favourite Roscom-Man
    Report
    Sep 3rd 2014, 6:36 AM

    I hope they are well rested after their break. What an absolute pack of wasters. Joan Burton has been offered a position as a forwards coach on the Irish ladies Rugby team. A very accomplished No.8 in her day

    34
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Ian McG
    Favourite Ian McG
    Report
    Sep 3rd 2014, 7:38 AM

    Kenny can’t even manage a smile properly! What a nonsense photo though with them all trying to look hip

    30
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute KentuckyWindage
    Favourite KentuckyWindage
    Report
    Sep 3rd 2014, 6:53 AM

    Who took this awful photo?
    My beloved Joan’s features are all blurred. The twinkle in her eye may be dimmed in this photo, but nothing can change the warmth of her heart.

    29
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Firas
    Favourite Firas
    Report
    Sep 3rd 2014, 9:16 AM

    LMFAO – Well done sir! Gave me a chuckle.

    7
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Ian O'Donovan
    Favourite Ian O'Donovan
    Report
    Sep 3rd 2014, 7:59 AM

    Forgot they were away..

    25
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Chris Mackey
    Favourite Chris Mackey
    Report
    Sep 3rd 2014, 9:22 AM

    What do you mean they were but they are all ways away whats new. What we should be saying is Oh they are back

    4
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Martin Coyle
    Favourite Martin Coyle
    Report
    Sep 3rd 2014, 8:16 AM

    God bless them all they look shattered, maybe we should give them a permanent rest.

    25
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute John Farrant
    Favourite John Farrant
    Report
    Sep 3rd 2014, 8:40 AM

    Maybe they will do nothing until the next concert comes along then they will be galvanised into action and be willing to change the law overnight to make Ireland a better place. I agree with one of the previous comments. They sould have been rested permanently.

    13
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Gambon
    Favourite Gambon
    Report
    Sep 3rd 2014, 7:09 AM

    CAN I JUST SAY …… We are back !!

    12
Submit a report
Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
Thank you for the feedback
Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.