Advertisement

We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Shutterstock/nataschen

Turkey criticised for pulling out of landmark treaty protecting women

The convention requires governments to adopt legislation prosecuting domestic violence and similar abuse.

TURKEY HAS SPARKED both domestic and international outrage by withdrawing from the world’s first binding treaty to prevent and combat violence against women.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s government announced the decision before dawn today, the latest victory for conservatives in his nationalist party and their allies who argued the treaty damaged family unity.

The 2011 Istanbul Convention, signed by 45 countries and the European Union, requires governments to adopt legislation prosecuting domestic violence and similar abuse as well as marital rape and female genital mutilation.

Europe’s top rights body, the Council of Europe, denounced Turkey’s withdrawal from a treaty it sponsored and expressed concern about global efforts to protect women and girls.

“This move is a huge setback to these efforts and all the more deplorable because it compromises the protection of women in Turkey, across Europe and beyond,” Council of Europe Secretary General Marija Pejcinovic Buricshe said.

The treaty “is widely regarded as the gold standard in international efforts to protect women and girls from the violence that they face every day in our societies,” she added.

Conservatives had claimed the charter damages family unity, encourages divorce and that its references to equality were being used by the LGBT community to gain broader acceptance in society.

The publication of the decree in the official gazette early today immediately sparked anger among Turkish rights groups and calls for protests in Istanbul.

Gokce Gokcen, deputy chairperson of the main opposition CHP party, said abandoning the treaty meant “keeping women second-class citizens and letting them be killed.”

“Despite you and your evil, we will stay alive and bring back the convention,” she said on Twitter.

Turkey had been debating a possible departure after an official in Erdogan’s party raised dropping the treaty last year.

Since then, women have taken to the streets in cities across the country calling on the government to stick to the convention.

Labour and social services minister Zehra Zumrut Selcuk told the official Anadolu news agency that Turkey’s constitution and domestic regulations would instead be the “guarantee of the women’s rights”.

“We will continue our fight against violence with the principle of zero tolerance,” she said.

Domestic violence and femicide remain a serious problem in Turkey. 

A man was arrested on Sunday in the north of the country after a video on social media purportedly showing him beating his ex-wife on a street sparked outrage.

Last year, 300 women were murdered, according to the rights group We Will Stop Femicide Platform.

The platform called for a “collective fight against those who dropped the Istanbul convention,” in a message on Twitter. 

“The Istanbul convention was not signed at your command and it will not leave our lives on your command,” its secretary general Fidan Ataselim said.

She called on women to protest in Kadikoy, Istanbul.

“Withdraw the decision, implement the convention,” she tweeted. 

Kerem Altiparmak, an academic and lawyer specialising in human rights law, likened the government’s shredding of the convention to the 1980 military coup. 

“What’s abolished tonight is not only the Istanbul convention but the parliament’s will and legislative power,” he commented.

Rights groups accuse Erdogan of taking mostly Muslim but officially secular Turkey on an increasingly socially conservative course during his 18 years in power.

After a spectacular Pride March in Istanbul drew 100,000 people in 2014, the government responded by banning future events in the city, citing security concerns.

In January, Turkish police detained four people after artwork depicting Islam’s holiest site viewed as offensive by Ankara was hung at an Istanbul university at the centre of recent protests.

Author
View 32 comments
Close
32 Comments
This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
Leave a Comment
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute shadow75
    Favourite shadow75
    Report
    Oct 16th 2012, 11:16 AM

    Great news they could do with a lot more tri colours up there

    71
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Alan McEvoy
    Favourite Alan McEvoy
    Report
    Oct 16th 2012, 11:47 AM

    The shop in Belfast sells Union Jacks too!

    24
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Alan McEvoy
    Favourite Alan McEvoy
    Report
    Oct 16th 2012, 4:19 PM

    Dont know why I got a load of down arrows. The shop in Belfast does indeed reflect the diversity of the city ie you can buy Union Jacks etc.

    8
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Pierce2020
    Favourite Pierce2020
    Report
    Oct 16th 2012, 11:14 AM

    Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water there Trap.

    18
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute ✨Ange✨
    Favourite ✨Ange✨
    Report
    Oct 16th 2012, 3:41 PM

    Great news, every day another company closes it’s doors and here’s one creating employment!!! Serious negativity going on here! 250 staff that’s quite a few people!

    11
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Vinny O'Mahony
    Favourite Vinny O'Mahony
    Report
    Oct 16th 2012, 1:31 PM

    Trap is explaining why he doesn’t try out new young players.

    5
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Conor Conneally
    Favourite Conor Conneally
    Report
    Oct 16th 2012, 1:21 PM

    40 shades of tat is sold in that shop. I suppose American tourists and their money are easily parted so fair play them

    4
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Dec Kavanagh
    Favourite Dec Kavanagh
    Report
    Oct 16th 2012, 9:52 PM

    Who cares what they sell or who they sell to. They employ 250 staff and pay their taxes which is very welcome in this current climate. Well done Carrolls.

    7
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Dec Kavanagh
    Favourite Dec Kavanagh
    Report
    Oct 16th 2012, 9:48 PM

    Well done Colm Carroll. Great Irish success story now opening in Belfast.

    4
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Fuzi Le Bon
    Favourite Fuzi Le Bon
    Report
    Oct 16th 2012, 3:00 PM

    shop is a rip off

    4
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Slap'stick Ireland
    Favourite Slap'stick Ireland
    Report
    Oct 16th 2012, 12:43 PM

    Dunphy shows us his recommendation for new Ireland manager.

    3
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute jumpthecat
    Favourite jumpthecat
    Report
    Oct 16th 2012, 1:15 PM

    It’s not Eamon Dunphy.

    Or funny.

    11
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Slap'stick Ireland
    Favourite Slap'stick Ireland
    Report
    Oct 16th 2012, 1:58 PM

    Was intended to be funny. Never mind. I’ll get my coat.

    8
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Andrew Carroll
    Favourite Andrew Carroll
    Report
    May 12th 2016, 4:44 PM

    Well done to all at Carroll’s. A great enterprise and a fantastic story that hard work and dedication really does pay off. The first shop opened in the recession of the 80s. That’s saying something!!!

    1
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Susan O'Neill
    Favourite Susan O'Neill
    Report
    Oct 17th 2012, 10:08 PM

    Fantastic news from a great Irish success story. What’s with negativity folks? Great to have Irish owned business do well here and in the north. Well done to all at Carrolls.

    1
Submit a report
Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
Thank you for the feedback
Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.

Leave a commentcancel

 
JournalTv
News in 60 seconds