Advertisement

We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Part of Beirut’s port silos collapse on second anniversary of massive explosion

The northern block of the silos consisting of four towers had been slowly tilting for days.

A LARGE SECTION of Beirut’s giant port grain silos, which were shredded by a massive explosion two years ago, have collapsed as hundreds marched in the city to mark the second anniversary of the blast that killed nearly 220 people.

The northern block of the silos consisting of four towers had been slowly tilting for days and collapsed, causing a huge cloud of dust that covered the structure that shielded Beirut’s western neighbourhoods when the blast occurred on August 4 2020.

The explosion also injured more than 6,000 people and caused damage worth billions of pounds.

Thursday’s collapse of roughly a quarter of the structure occurred an hour before hundreds of people were to gather outside the facility to mark the second anniversary of the blast.

Authorities evacuated parts of the port earlier this week — after an initial section of the silos collapsed on Sunday — as a precautionary measure and there was no indication that anyone was hurt.

The 50-year-old, 157ft tall silos had withstood the force of the explosion two years ago that destroyed much of the port.

Many in Lebanon, including families of the victims, have been demanding that the silos be kept for future generations to witness the result of one of the largest non-nuclear explosions in history, caused by widespread corruption and mismanagement in the small Mediterranean nation.

The domestic investigation into the blast has been stalled since December following legal challenges by charged and accused officials against the judge leading the investigation.

Hundreds of people, including families of the victims, marched from three locations in Beirut towards the main road outside the port to mark the blast on Thursday. Some carried white coffins while others carried gallows demanding punishment for those responsible.

embedded268172156 Smoke rises from part of the collapsed silos

“Two years later the pain is still the same,” said one of the family members whose brother was killed.

Two years on, none of the country’s top politicians have apologised to the Lebanese.

Tarek Bitar, the judge leading the Lebanese investigation, had charged four former senior government officials with intentional killing and negligence that led to the deaths of scores of people. He also charged several senior security officials in the case.

But none of them have been detained and two of those charged were re-elected to parliament in May.

“There is no justice under the rule of militia and mafia,” read one banner carried during Thursday’s march — an apparent reference to the Lebanese militant Hezbollah group that has been calling for the removal of Mr Bitar, who it describes as biased.

Many have blamed the Lebanese government’s longtime corruption and mismanagement, saying it paved way for the tragedy, when hundreds of tons of highly explosive ammonium nitrate detonated at the port.

“The state has no right to abstain from the Lebanese investigation and also prevent an international investigation,” said Cardinal Bechara Rai, the head of the Maronite Catholic church, Lebanon’s largest, during prayers on Thursday for the victims.

Official correspondence between political, security and judicial officials has revealed that many were aware of the hazardous substances stored in the port, without taking meaningful action to remove them.

After the blast, port, customs and legal documents revealed that the ammonium nitrate had been shipped to Lebanon in 2013 on a worn-out Russian ship and stored improperly at a port warehouse ever since.

Close
3 Comments
This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
Leave a Comment
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Malcolm Lackey
    Favourite Malcolm Lackey
    Report
    Nov 3rd 2015, 11:53 AM

    I wish the Statdust victims got the same justice, the inly person ever to be arrested over that was the father of one of the lost souls for hitting Mr Butterly!!

    110
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Maurice Frazer
    Favourite Maurice Frazer
    Report
    Nov 3rd 2015, 12:43 PM

    Well said still waiting for Justice 35 years on.

    69
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Martin Hayes
    Favourite Martin Hayes
    Report
    Nov 3rd 2015, 2:15 PM

    Mr Butterly had powerful friends in government, that’s all it takes in Ireland to get away with it.

    39
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Sam Glynn
    Favourite Sam Glynn
    Report
    Nov 3rd 2015, 11:41 AM

    This is horrific and unnecessary. My heart goes out to the families and friends of these poor people caught in the fire. Such a tragic and sad event to happen :-(

    56
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute George Gilceava
    Favourite George Gilceava
    Report
    Nov 5th 2015, 11:51 PM

    Thank you Sam, it’s really kind of you!
    George Gilceava from Romania.

    1
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute George Gilceava
    Favourite George Gilceava
    Report
    Nov 5th 2015, 11:57 PM

    Thank you Sam, it’s really kind of you!
    George Gilceava from Romania.

    1
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute TommyRyder
    Favourite TommyRyder
    Report
    Nov 3rd 2015, 12:59 PM

    “One of the three suspects taken into custody yesterday is a former barman with shares in several clubs.
    Two of the other clubs in which he has a stake were also destroyed by fires in recent years”

    Look, I’m no Sherlock Holmes…but………………………..

    36
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute RMcG
    Favourite RMcG
    Report
    Nov 3rd 2015, 2:02 PM

    It’s a terrible tragedy, one of the victims was a lady who worked as a cleaner in the club, her husband died 8 years ago and now her 5 children (including 11 year old twins) are orphans.

    20
Submit a report
Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
Thank you for the feedback
Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.

Leave a commentcancel

 
JournalTv
News in 60 seconds