Advertisement

We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Amr Nabil/AP/Press Association Images

Arab League readies to hand Syria seat to opposition

The League called for the opposition National Coalition “to form an executive body to take up Syria’s seat” and attend its summit later this month.

THE ARAB LEAGUE said today that it is prepared to hand Syria’s seat in the organisation to the opposition battling to oust President Bashar al-Assad if it sets up an executive body.

The League, in a resolution adopted at a meeting of foreign ministers in Cairo, called for the opposition National Coalition “to form an executive body to take up Syria’s seat” and attend its next summit, in Doha on March 26-27.

The umbrella group would retain Syria’s seat in the 22-member organisation “until elections leading to the formation of a government to assume the responsibilities of power in Syria,” it said.

The call was based on “the sacrifices of the Syrian people and the exceptional circumstances” in the country.

Iraq and Algeria expressed reservations while Lebanon declined to be associated with the resolution, League chief Nabil al-Arabi told a news conference.

Instead, Lebanon urged foreign ministers to allow the Syrian government to retake its seat at the League, from which it was suspended in late 2011, as the organisation had failed to resolve the two-year conflict in Syria.

Last year, with the death toll escalating in the anti-Assad revolt, the League recognised the National Coalition led by Ahmed Moaz al-Khatib as the “legitimate representative and main interlocutor with the Arab League.”

More than 70,000 people have been killed in the conflict since March 2011, according to the United Nations, which on Wednesday put the number of Syrian refugees at one million.

- © AFP, 2013

Author
View 5 comments
Close
5 Comments
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Declan Noonan
    Favourite Declan Noonan
    Report
    Mar 6th 2013, 10:30 PM

    How dare the Arab league make this move without the permission and against the expressed opinion of Herr B Lowe!

    13
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Cathal
    Favourite Cathal
    Report
    Mar 6th 2013, 9:26 PM

    Let me get this … Saudi Arabia, supported by the US etc … are the most influential members of the arab league… a country that executes people suspected of having dirty thoughts … are against Syria regime?
    Seriously??

    10
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute B Lowe
    Favourite B Lowe
    Report
    Mar 6th 2013, 9:51 PM

    Bravo Cathal.
    Also, the ‘democratic’ SNC have said they will change Syria to an Islamic state from a secular one.

    13
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Sean Hyland
    Favourite Sean Hyland
    Report
    Mar 6th 2013, 10:22 PM

    The same opposition who attacked and held hostage a UN convoy today. The same opposition who recruit child soldiers from this jurisdiction to die in their jihadist onslaught. No one bats an eyelid here on that one.
    Islamic republic of Syria? I’ll take the lesser of two evils and go with Assad.

    14
    See 1 more reply ▾
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Jason Culligan
    Favourite Jason Culligan
    Report
    Mar 7th 2013, 9:54 AM

    B Lowe, you never answered me about Russian imperialism and the hypocrisy of your sources. Why is that?

    3
Submit a report
Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
Thank you for the feedback
Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.
JournalTv
News in 60 seconds